Go to the Main Scottish Cave and Mine Database Search Page
S of Oban - Ganavan Road, Argyllshire.
|NGR:||NM 85850 32310|
|Vert. Range:||Not recorded|
Rock shelter, in form of overhanging cliff,
Alternate Names: Braes of Ganavan Rockshelter
Notes: Excavated 1906 by Capt A J Macdougall. Situated under overhanging cliff, S of Oban - Ganavan road, directly opposite & nearly S of Ganavan House (NM 857 324), c 200 yards from, & 20' above, high water mark. A J Macdougall; A D Lacaille 1954. Shelter recently used as store for ploughs etc. When excavated, bones of infant were found near edge of deposit. Shells, ash, animal bones & teeth, 2 flint chips, & bone needle, donated to National Museum of Antiquities of Scotland (NMAS, Accession no. HL 439). Lacaille suggests that occupation of shelter contemporary with Obanian caves (ie Mesolithic). RCAHMS 1975.
Indicated on OS 25"map by Mrs Macdougall (Dunollie House, Oban) at NM 8583 3231. Surveyed at 1:2500. Visited by OS (R D) 31 August 1971.
Links and Resources:
This entry was last updated: 2018-04-30 17:20:16
Errors or omissions in this information? Submit corrections/additions/comments for this entry to the registrars.
All database content Copyright 2021 Grampian Speleological Group.
Web Registry software by Matt Voysey.