Go to the Main Scottish Cave and Mine Database Search Page
Eigg, Galmisdale, Invernessshire.
|NGR:||NM 47600 83500|
|Vert. Range:||Not recorded|
According to Seamus Heaney's version of the Buile Suibhne, Sweeney - having got into a spot of bother, and been turned, naked, into something between man and bird - lived a life in fear of human contact. His avian roamings took him all over Ireland. He flew to various parts of the British Isles as well, and spent six weeks living 'in a cave that belonged to Donnan on the island of Eig off the west of Scotland'. Heane.
Behold the Hebrides: A Hebridean Tragedy: A Tale of an Eigg Cave. Electronic Scotland Website.
Alternate Names: Frances Cave, Clanronald's Cave, Clan Ranald's Cave, MacDonald's Cave , Massacre Cave, Skulls (The Cave of the), MacLeod's Cave
Links and Resources:
- CoSBib, pp. 71-72, 116-117.also known as Massacre Cave, St Francis or France's Cave, Clan Ranald Cave, Uamh Fhraing and marked on 1" OS as Uamh Fraing.
- Anderson 1863 218-219
- Anderson 234-235
- Anon 1833 Some Accounts of Natural Caverns and Grottos.
- Saturday Magazine (42) 79 (in Platten's Notes 25)
- Anon 1863 Donations to and purchases for the Museum and Library with exhibits. PSAS 4 396-400 et seq.
- Anon 1966 Lord Runiman and brother sell Eigg. Daily Telegraph, 10th Sept, 15,
- Barr, Michael, www.thebothyproject.org/sweeneys-bothy/blog/;
- www.electricscotland.com/book/hrbrides27.htm accessed 10/31/2003
- BC 19 47
- Chapman 40, 61, 115
- CRG Trans 3 (2) 115-116
- Cullingford 1951 26
- Davidson, Dee ND Papa Stour / Rocky reefs and sea cave. Scottish Natural Heritage. A3 leaflet folded 3 times. Describes France's Hole AND Donaldson 234, 253, 254, 257, 433
- Doria, Rosemary F, 1970 Eigg For the islanders, life here has its problems. But for the holiday-maker it offers sheer pleasure. Scots Mag 93 (3) 217-223, map, illus.
- Fogle, Ben 2006 Offshore In search of an island of my own. 259, illus. HB DW Michael Joseph an imprint of Penguin Books, London. £18.99 [Cardigan library] 133.
- Geike 1908 254 AND Gordon 1929 144-145 AND Gordon 1949 177-179 AND Gordon 1950 111, 201-202
- Harden, G. 1985 Eigg (Small Isles), stray finds. Discovery and Excavation in Scotland 1985: 21.
- Henderson, T F, & Watt, F, 1907 Scotland of Today. Methuen & Co, London 317,
- Haswell-Smith 109, 111
- Isle of Eigg History. Isle of Eigg Website. www.isleofeigg.org./nature/geology.htm accessed 10/31/2003
- Kempe 1988 196-197
- Laughlan 97-98 Sir Walter Scott takes home the skull of a young woman. 125-126 the skull causes bad weather, 134, 152
- Laughlan 1982 182-183
- Laughlan, Edited by William F, 1983 A Summer in Skye by Alexander Smith. 136
- Lockhart's Life of Sir Walter Scott 3 239 AND Lockhart 285-286, 295
- Love, John A. 2001 Rum: A Land Without Figures. Birlinn Ltd, Edinburgh
- MacDiarmid 125
- MacEwen, L, 1973 A Guide to Eigg & Muck. 24, map, 3rd ed pub by the author, Muck 12,
- MacGregor 1937 177-183
- MacGregor, A A, 1952 Skye and the Inner Hebrides reprinted BC 29 18; 36 60
- Martin 276, reprinted BC 8 1
- Mcllwraith, Euan 1989 The First MacDonald Massacre. Euan Mcllwraith recalls a grim chapter in clan history. The Scots Magazine / A Celebration of 250 years. Pelham Books / Stephen Green Press. 126-129, illus
- Miller 1897 22-29
- Muirhead 1947 394
- Murray 136-138, 156, 235
- Parker 46
- Redfern, R A, 1973 A Mountaineer on Eigg. Climber & Rambler 12 (9) 371
- Redfern 84-85
- Riddoch, Lesley 5.9.05 A lynx in the glen. Guardian
- Rixson 9, 67, 114-118
- Simpson 100-102
- Smith, A, 1907 A Summer on Skye. W P Nimmo, Hay & Mitchel. Edinburgh. 347-348,
- Statistical Account 1791-99 17 p 288- 289 Uamba Ffraine (the Cave of Francis) detailed account of the massacre
- Steward, Paul Jay, 2005 True tales of terror in the caves of the world. Cave Books, Dayton, Ohio. 24-27.
- Tindall 195
- Urquhart, Judy and Ellington, Eric 1987 Eigg. Canongate Publishing Ltd, Edinburgh. 36-38 Massacre Cave, 37 photo of Massacre Cave entrance
- Walter. Sir ND Tales of a Grandfather [from Miller 1897]
- Warner, Gerald 1982 Tales of Scottish Highlands collected and retold by, Illustrations by pupils of the Lochgilphead High School under the guidance of John Leckie. Shepheard-Walwyn [publishers] London. 65-68 Massacre in St Francis Cave, Eigg, illus.
- Wilson 1841 Voyage round the Coasts of Scotland [from Miller 1897]
- WL Oban 1936/7 95
- W L Oban 96-97
This entry was last updated: 2018-03-20 19:21:17
Errors or omissions in this information? Submit corrections/additions/comments for this entry to the registrars.